Traffic on Smithfield Street.
The Smithfield Street Bridge has undergone many changes, some radical, others merely cosmetic. The first Smithfield Bridge crossed the Monongahela River in 1818 and was probably the first bridge across any of the three rivers. In the great fire of 1845, the bridge fell within 10 minutes. The rebuilding was begun in 1846 by John Augustus Roebling, who went on to design the famous Brooklyn Bridge. Sidewalks were added to the bridge in 1840. Various renovations followed as required. The bridge opened in the 1880s and it thoughtfully separated carriage and wagon traffic from horse-drawn trolleys. In 1915, the bridge underwent renovations in which the portals were removed.