The Penn Incline terminating in the Strip District. The Sixteenth Street Bridge is in the left background.
The Penn Incline began operating in 1883, also called the 17th Street Incline and handled 20 ton coal freight cars. It ceased operation in 1953. Pittsburgh had thirteen inclines servicing both the needs of industry and that of its laborers and commuters of the early 20th century.